Today we are celebrating the birth of Cass Technical High School namesake and benefactor, the Honorable Lewis Cass!
Lewis Cass was born on October 9, 1782 in Exeter, New Hampshire. He attended the legendary Phillips Exeter Academy. Lewis Cass led an extraordinary life. He was a military officer, member of the Ohio House of Representatives, 2nd Territorial Governor of Michigan, 14th United States Secretary of War, United States Ambassador to France, United States Senator from Michigan, 38th President pro tempore of the Senate, 22nd United States Secretary of State, and U.S. Presidential Candidate.
On December 13, 1860, Mr. Cass resigned from his position as Secretary of State and returned to his home at his farm in Detroit, Michigan. Towards the end of his life, Mr. Cass donated parts of his farmland to the City of Detroit and other institutions. Among his donations to the City of Detroit was a triangular patch of land bounded by Second Boulevard, High Street, Grand River, and Columbia Streets to be used for a school.
Over a period of time, the school that was built on the triangular patch of land evolved into Lewis Cass Technical High School. The Triangle Society, Inc. pays homage to this gift in our organization's name.
Today, some of the social and political views of Mr. Cass are considered controversial. However, his lifetime of achievements serve as an example to the students of Cass Technical High School about the potential for greatness that lies within. From its beginnings, Cass Technical High School has been recognized nationally and internationally as an exemplary institution. Many Cass Tech alumni have made history and impacted history.
Today we honor Lewis Cass, the namesake and benefactor of the legendary Cass Technical High School. Our legacy of excellence continues!